My family has been cooking up a storm. If anyone has ever had risotto, you know it is either amazing or not worth eating. This is an asparagus risotto that is not only worth eating, but can be the only thing you eat. It is so creamy, but the rice isn’t overcooked. It has to do with the slow cooking of it. This could be made as a side dish or eaten as an entree. Plus it pairs well with any Italian dish, especially an eggplant parmigiana or chicken cacciatore.
Ingredients: Chef Pamela
2 carrots, peeled
2 celery sticks, snapped in half
4 layers of yellow onion
3 qts water
1 container Italian rice 32oz
1 pound asparagus, ends cut off (but keep them for the stock) then cut about an 1” long
1/4 red onion, diced
1 tsp Salt and pepper
1/2 cup parmigiano reggiano
1 cup white wine
1 TBS butter
1TBS olive oil
1. Put your carrots, celery, onion and the asparagus ends in the water and set to simmer. This is your stock. The more you let the veggies simmer, the more the water will taste like vegetable stock.
- If you want to use vegetable stock you can, but this is so simple and has no extra add-ins, so I think you should try making the stock yourself.
2. Heat your oil and butter. add the red onion and the asparagus. Stir for about 5 more minutes and then start adding the rice.You want to cook the rice without the liquid until it is almost translucent. It may sound odd, but this step is very important. Before you add the broth put in the white wine and stir till it evaporates.
3. Add the vegetable broth 2 ladles at a time. Stir continuously until the liquid has dissolved, then add 2 more ladles’ worth. Keep doing this until the rice is cooked or you have run out of broth. I did this step about 5 times. You want the risotto to be creamy, not wet.
4. At the end, add the salt and pepper. Once in the serving dish or dishes, add the cheese as a garnish. Just sprinkle a little on top for flavor.
This was my first risotto to eat and to make. Risotto always seemed like the hardest thing for me, but after making it, it isn’t that bad. It does take up a little time since you don’t want the rice to burn so you have to keep stirring, but other than that it tastes amazing. I couldn’t stop eating it, but we had so much other food to try.
*Originally published: Jan 31, 2017 @ 09:02