This week, we are doing something a little different. We will be growing our own Romaine at home! Growing some food is easy and requires little to no effort. This week, we will be growing Romaine. Romaine is one of the better types of lettuce. It is a good add-on to any sandwich. Fresh lettuce also makes a crisp salad.
- 1 head of romaine
- 1 jar or can
- Cut the head of romaine right above the heart.
- The heart is in the middle, so be careful not to cut too far down or it won’t work.
2. Get the container you want the lettuce to grow in, fill it a third of the way full with water and put the lettuce in.
- I put mine in a glass container so I could watch it grow from the top and the bottom.
- If you are a real adventurer, you can grow a handful at the same time. Since there are only two people in my house, one head was enough. If you have a bigger family, then grow more so everyone can enjoy it.
3. Set in a window sill and watch the magic.
- It will only take a few days to notice the lettuce starting to grow. It will take less than a month before you can harvest your very own lettuce.
- If you have a green thumb, you can try to transplant your lettuce into your garden. Me, I kill fake plants, so I keep mine in the window.
At the end of the month, I made myself a simple sandwich. This was the best lettuce I have ever eaten. It might be because I was so proud of myself for growing it, or it could be because it had no chemicals in it. Pick your favorite sandwich and enjoy. This romaine took me only 20 days to grow big enough to eat. As I write this, I have another head ready to cut and devour.